Students Helping Students Achieve Their College Goals
Near Peer Coaching for Postsecondary Success seeks motivated coaches!
Earn to Learn FL is seeking to help more Florida students pursue postsecondary education – but we need your help.
If you’re a college student or recent college graduate, the Near Peer Coaching for Postsecondary Success is a great opportunity to:
- Gain leadership skills as a Near Peer Coach to high school students
- Receive a biweekly stipend (living allowance)
- Earn an educational award upon successful completion of service
- Make professional connections
The goal of Near Peer Coaching for Postsecondary Success is to increase the number of high school students who enroll and complete postsecondary education. Near Peer Coaches are current college students or recent college graduates from universities and colleges. Near Peer Coaches receive intensive training to order to deliver personalized, knowledgeable support on college admission, financial aid and enrollment to low-income, first-generation college, and underrepresented high school students.
High schools interested in partnering with the Near Peer Coaching program should contact State Program Director Julia DeLlanos for more information!
Candidates interested in the Near Peer Success Coaching (AmeriCorps) position should contact Program Coordinator Bianca Basch for more information!
Near Peer Success Coaches will commit to an AmeriCorps 900-hour (approximately 15-20 hours per week) term of service from August 2020 through July 2021. Candidates who are not willing to make a commitment to a full year of service with the program should not apply.
This position includes a mandatory training session that starts August 2020. All training expenses, including room, board and travel, are covered by the program. Successful Near Peer Success Coaches are fully enmeshed in the fabric of the local communities and, as such, Near Peer Success Coaches are encouraged to live in the community in which they are placed. Upon successful completion of the first-year commitment, Near Peer Success Coaches may be invited to return for one to two additional years of service with the AmeriCorps program if they choose.
What You Need to Know
Near Peer Coaches receive a bi-monthly stipend (living allowance).
Near Peer Coaches must have reliable transportation.
Near Peer Coaches must live in or near the community they serve.
Near Peer Coaches must attend a mandatory orientation and training in September 2020.
Pre-Applications: Open: Summer 2020
Applicant Interviews: Ongoing Until Full
Program Year Start Date: August 2020
Mandatory Orientation Training: August 2020
Program Year End Date: July 2021
Applications are processed on a rolling basis. Applicants should apply as soon as possible, since interviews for individual high school placements can vary.
*In anticipation of AmeriCorps funding award
Applicants must be a United States citizen, a national or a legal permanent resident and at least 18 years of age. Documentation of proof of age and citizenship will be required during the selection process.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in any subject area with a 2018, 2019 or 2020 graduation date from an accredited college or university or current college student with no less than 30 college credits
- Ability to effectively partner with students, faculty and staff, including those from diverse backgrounds
- Previous experience demonstrating strong leadership abilities, influencing others in a positive manner while achieving goals and effectively communicating ideas and generating support for ideas
- Ability to serve independently and analytically, exercise discretion and good judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects; strong planning and organizational skills
- Willingness to handle complex and detail-oriented tasks and projects
- High energy, creativity, ability to assume responsibility
- Take initiative and develop new programs within the high school setting
- Successfully pass Federal and State background screenings
- Provide documentation of eligibility for service (e.g. birth certificate, passport, transcripts)
- Dependable transportation to get to and from your service site