High school juniors and seniors who income-qualify may be eligible to save up to $500 in their Florida 529 Savings Plan each year and have their savings matched at least 8:1 by Earn to Learn FL. This brings their total available funds for financial assistance to at least $4,500 per academic year. Earn to Learn FL, in partnership with Florida Prepaid College Foundation, doubles the impact of non-government funds donated to Earn to Learn FL for scholarships at the 8:1 ratio. The partnership with Florida Prepaid College Foundation provides 1 Year Florida University or 1 Year Florida College Scholarship Plans for Tuition, Local Fees, and Tuition Differential Fees in Florida. The students’ savings in their Florida 529 Savings Plan pays for additional expenses for education such as lodging, books, fees and other expenses.
The following infographic is an example and does not reflect all Earn to Learn FL awards:
Our experience demonstrates combining student savings, personal finance training, near peer coaching, and scholarships for income challenged students, that they will be set up for success in both the short and long term. We are confident that an investment in these students’ high school and postsecondary success will have long-lasting effects on their careers and the rest of their lives.
(Application period is October 1 through January 31, 2022)
2. Personal Finance Training
Complete Earn to Learn FL Personal Finance Training. Students who successfully complete Personal Finance Training will be invited to complete the full application.
3. Full Application
Once Personal Finance Training is complete you will continue to full application to confirm eligibility.
4. Application Review
Your application will be reviewed and you will receive notification of approval.
5. Near Peer Success Coach
Connect with you Near Peer Success Coach to Open your Florida 529 Savings Plan. You make monthly deposits for at least six months before your university or college enrollment to meet your savings goal.
Meet your Earn to Learn FL™ savings goal and receive your Earn to Learn FL™ Scholarship.
To be eligible, you must meet all the following minimum requirements
- Apply during 11th or 12th grade
- Be enrolled at a public Florida high school
- Earn a 3.0 high school GPA if pursuing a Florida state university degree program
- Earn a 2.5 high school GPA if pursuing a Florida state career and technical education certificate or two-year associates degree
- Demonstration of eligibility (please provide ONE of the following with the student listed):
- Documentation that the student (or family) receives benefits from one of the following programs, based on income:
- a. *Free and Reduced lunch (based on income)
- b. *SNAP, the student must be listed
- c. *TANF, the student must be listed
- d. *Medicaid, the student must be listed
- e. *HUD – must not exceed the “Very Low Income” HUD Eligibility threshold
- OR Filed IRS 1040 Tax Return, which lists the student as a dependent and demonstrates eligibility to participate in the program.
- OR Proof that the student is in Foster Care.
- Scholarships (based on availability) are available for both US citizens and resident aliens; a valid social security number is required.
- Eligible students must have Florida residency and a valid Florida ID card, such as a driver’s license, learner’s permit, or state ID.